Wood Deck Installation Service
The team at Novus Exteriors provides a variety of installation services. From installing new siding to new roofing, if you have an exterior project, we have you covered. Every year we complete dozens of decking and porch projects. When it comes to decking, your first decision is between materials. Wood decking and composite board decking each have their own unique advantages as well as drawbacks. If you are interested in wood decking for your property, please send us a message, or continue reading to learn more about wood decking.
Benefits of A Wood Deck
For decades, millions of American homeowners have chosen to add decks to their homes. Not only is a deck potentially the most cost-effective home expansion project, but it also gives you and your family a unique area in your home. Decks are great for spending time with your family and enjoying a summer BBQ or hosting a party for friends. Decks add value to a home and are great for homes that do not have a lot of yard space. In recent years, homeowners interested in building a deck have had two main options for materials. Composite board or wood. Here are some of the advantages of a wood deck.
- Cost: Compared to composite board decks, most wood decks cost less to construct per square foot. On average the material cost for a wood deck can range anywhere between $15-$25 per square foot (not including labor costs). Alternatively, composite decking usually runs $30-$45.
- Aesthetic: Many homeowners choose wood for their decking and their siding because of the traditional aesthetic and design. Composite board is designed to mimic the look and feel of wood, but for some homeowners, there is nothing better than the original.
- Durability: Although not as durable as some composite board options, a wood deck (when maintained correctly) can last years without needing repairs, or replacement decking.
Wood Deck Maintenance
The chief drawback of a wood deck for many homeowners is the maintenance aspect. Without proper maintenance, a wood deck can begin to warp or crack over time. A wood deck is an investment, which means bi-annual and semi-annual maintenance. This includes:
- Sanding: You should sand your wood deck every two to five years to remove any splintered wood and prevent chipping.
- Staining: Like many wooden features, staining will need to be done every 2-5 years as well.
- Sealing: Whenever you stain your deck you will need to re-seal deck to prevent damage to the wooden boards over time.
- Painting: If your porch or deck is painted, it will need a touch-up generally every 2-5 year or whenever you begin to notice the paint fade or start chipping.
- Cleaning: Cleaning should be done once or twice a year in order to prevent mold from forming on your deck.
Wood Deck Repair Service
Beyond building new decks, we can also help repair your deck and perform needed deck maintenance. Our team of contractors can help replace broken or rotting boards, and if you are interested in a full deck removal and replacement project we can help with that as well. Some homeowners choose to remove the previously constructed deck that came with their home and replace it with a more modern deck, or a differently sized deck. Whatever your plans are we would be happy to go over the details of your project.
Contact Novus Exteriors in Marlborough For More Info
Located in Marlborough, Massachusetts, our team of contractors works throughout Massachusetts and Northern Rhode Island. If you have a decking project you would like our help with, please send us a message and a member of our team will discuss the project with you.